Friday, October 2, 2009

My Project Proposal

 

Maria Elena Malovos

September 29, 2009

DigiArt Photography

Project Name:

            In Their Shoes

 

Project Description:

            I will be examining the relationship that crosses generations, the things that repeat, the things that change and that strange likeness that no matter the changes in world still exist across generations.  I will be taking pictures from my parents and grandparents and other relatives and bringing them back to life today with others from my generation, but going beyond the picture, breaking the border and letting more be seen.

 

Conceptual Concerns:

            I am exploring the goals we set in life, the things we try to mimic and the things we try to do differently.  How are we influenced by our Parents, Grandparents and those around us from childhood to young adulthood?  Who takes on which roles, are certain roles maintained. 

 

Technical Skills Covered:

            Outdoor lighting with natural and artificial light along with recreating different eras from the 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s and 70s.  I plan to shoot Digital with a film as a backup and alternative.  I would shoot Medium format with the film and on a Digital SLR. Either converting it to black and white or creating color to coincide with the era if it fits.

 

Formal Guidelines:

            My end product will be digital prints.  I want them to be either window mounted or in a book form pasted on black scrapbook pages.  I hope to have 10 prints in the end.  My project will be due on the 29th of October. 

 

Artistic References:

            I forget the artist but she and her sister would recreate family photos putting themselves in the photos are their parents and other characters.  The photos had almost this plastic quality.  Cindy Sherman also played a lot with identity, even though many of her photos have film like qualities they address this bridge between generations this examination of the past.

 

Readings:

            Readings that would be helpful to read would be journals or writings from my grandparents and parents from their youth.  I will also reference Historical dress and fashion books, statistics from the different periods of time I am referencing and then apply what I can to the photographs.

 

Grade: 

            I want to be graded on the execution, the quality of light and exposure.  There will also be how effectively the message is conveyed, is it obvious or does it make the view wonder and think about photos presented, are they the true past or the present remade in the esthetic of the past.

 

Goals List:

             I hope to create images to make the viewer wonder about which is the reality.  Is the distinction between photographs of old and present obvious?  Is the 

1 comment:

  1. Hi!! The artist name that you mention is Trish Morrissey, the serie that you mention is seven years.. (I think) I like your concept Im also very interested in the past.. looking foward in seeying your work..

    ReplyDelete